[Edu-sig] re: CP4E-2002

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:58:20 -0400

For what its worth, I do not doubt for a second that young children can
'program'. I believe we will later look back in astonishment at these early days
when it was even questioned. Why am I so sure?

Because from birth we learn at a phenomenal rate.
We are seemingly hard- and soft-wired for *Language*.
What biology left out, the momentum of living and our environment takes care of.
Children [we all of us] program all the time.
This is often called 'play'.

And now we have new digital 'toys and games' like computers and Python.
We have long ways to go in making them really suitable for children.
Partly because of the chosen forms, functions, and design principle they
manifest.
But also in large measure simply because of how we use, view, present and teach
them ourselves.

How many would agree that toughest problems of widespread 'computational
literacy' is lack of good experienced teachers and parents, (in societies that
can afford it)?
Compounded by educational inertia, conservatism, ignorance and fear.

It is pretty safe so say that everyone here is witness to being the first
generation who had these tools...um\ 'toys', including global internet. Perhaps
the second generation to experience from birth and environment of global
tele-communications [phone Radio TV]. The kids being born right now are entering
a veuy different landscape. What do you suppose will be the jot topic of
discussion in 25 years time?

If 'memetic' writers like Susan Blackmore are on the right track, then 'copying'
is a fundamental part who we are, and we we do. Over the course of long
biological evolution as a species, through social cultural changes, and within
each individual lifetime.

http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/mmsynop.html

How we approach, teach, and design the next generation of computer-based
programming tools will be very different. Becuause, in part the assumptions of
early learning of that generation will be shaped by differnt environment.

But in memetic terms, it will take several generation for the changes to deeply
take root. While at the same time, we are part of the phenomenal speed with
which ideas and 'memes' can travel.

...Ask any child who can 'program' the VCR which his parents cannot what the
problem is?  Or the teenagers in Asia typing with one thumb at lightening speed
on their mobile phones..?

./Jason