[Edu-sig] BBC NEWS UK Education GCSE 'gender gap' sparksconcern

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:53:32 -0400

Jason asks:

>The higher percentage of boys still in "IT", also provokes >the question of
what
>kind of teaching they are really getting and what >should/could be done
about it.

Perhaps folks are making free choices, at levels of complexity we can not
hope (nor should particularly care)
to understand, and what should be done about it is nothing.

Now if there is evidence that a women who chooses to make best efforts at a
carreer in programming is inhibited in *any* way as a result of her gender -
that is a totally
different issue - and one which is worth a fight.

But it seems that even if that fight is declared won, there are those who
seem committed to needing something on their todo list connected to all
this.

Art