[Edu-sig] BBC NEWS UK Education GCSE 'gender gap' sparks concern

Bea Fontaine bea@webwitches.com
22 Aug 2002 13:07:36 +0300

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 12:29, Jason Cunliffe wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/2208547.stm

now there is an interesting bit of info... especially if you read the
analysis. It lets us know that a huge majority of kids chosing IT for
the first time are still boys and an equally huge majority of kids
chosing healthcare are still girls. Although, according to this survey,
girls outdo boys in terms of results in IT at school (as well as pretty
much everywhere else in terms of learning), it doesn't seem to
significantly affect their career choice yet. Bizarre.

A primary school teacher I know says that school is for little girls who
always say yes. Maybe IT is just slurped up together with the other
things that must be learned, with equal zeal and equal bemusement at the
purpose, for lack of a reason not to?

Are we being off topic again? I've had my wrists slapped twice already
although several people seemed interested. Maybe I misunderstand the way
the list is run?

bea

--

bea@webwitches.com