[Edu-sig] Python accessibility

Brent Burley and Pat Erb erburley@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 07:57:55 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0E682.BCF3B8C0

Python is a very accessible (and very capable) language.  However, if =
you don't have Python on your system, it's not very accessible, and if =
you don't have an Internet connection, you're out of luck.  Even if you =
have a broadband connection, you have a lot of work ahead of you, far =
more than most people (in the CP4E sense) are willing or capable of =
doing.

I recently made a Python CD-ROM for my nephew since he has no Internet =
access at home.  It was a lot of work gathering and assembling the =
pieces and I was only able to include a fraction of what I had hoped due =
to lack of time.

I would LOVE to see someone sell a "Python EDU-SIG Resources CD" via =
mail order.  I think it would make a great school project (hint hint) =
and could earn some extra money for the school.  I'd love to see the =
disc full of all the stuff that's been advertised on edu-sig - VPython, =
Alice, PyGame, Jeff's book, Kirby's math stuff, etc., and I'd love to =
see it constantly updated.  Heck, I'd buy a subscription!

I would hope something like this could sell for under $10 including S+H. =
 After all, the cost of materials and postage should be less than $1.  =
And I would hope the license would allow free duplication of the CD.  =
Teachers should be able to give a copy to every student in the class for =
the cost of a CD-R blank and the time of a T/A.

Thoughts?  Or more importantly, volunteers?

    Brent Burley

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0E682.BCF3B8C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Python is a very accessible (and very =
capable)=20
language.&nbsp; However, if you don't have Python on your system, it's =
not very=20
accessible, and if you don't have an Internet connection, you're out of=20
luck.&nbsp; Even if you have a broadband connection, you have a lot of =
work=20
ahead of you, far more than most people (in the CP4E sense) are willing =
or=20
capable of doing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I recently made a Python CD-ROM for my =
nephew since=20
he has no Internet access at home.&nbsp; It was a lot of work gathering =
and=20
assembling the pieces and I was only able to include a fraction of what =
I had=20
hoped due to lack of time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would LOVE to see someone sell a =
"Python EDU-SIG=20
Resources CD" via mail order.&nbsp; I think it would make a great school =
project=20
(hint hint) and could earn some extra money for the school.&nbsp; I'd =
love to=20
see the disc full of all the stuff that's been advertised on edu-sig - =
VPython,=20
Alice, PyGame, Jeff's book, Kirby's math stuff, etc., and I'd love to =
see it=20
constantly updated.&nbsp; Heck, I'd buy a subscription!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would hope something like this could =
sell=20
for&nbsp;under $10 including S+H.&nbsp; After all, the cost of=20
materials&nbsp;and postage should be less than $1.&nbsp; And I would =
hope the=20
license would allow free duplication of the CD.&nbsp; Teachers should be =
able to=20
give a copy to every student in the class for the cost of a CD-R blank =
and the=20
time of a T/A.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thoughts?&nbsp; Or more importantly,=20
volunteers?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Brent=20
Burley</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0E682.BCF3B8C0--