[Edu-sig] Learning Python in pairs

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Sat, 26 May 2001 07:58:05 -0700

On Sat, 26 May 2001 00:19:50 -0500 (CDT), Timothy Wilson <wilson@visi.com>  wrote about
[Edu-sig] Learning Python in pairs:

:I'm going to have two sections of about 25 students each next fall and I
:have a lab with 30 computers. I'm intrigued by the idea of having the
:students work in pairs. (This is something we science teachers are very
:comfortable with.) Do any list subscribers have any thoughts about solo
:vs. paired learning in a programming class?

I do use pairs for a number of things in my programming class. Usually a difficult
assignment is done with a partner. There are many benefits to working with a partner. For
example: It gives you someone to talk with about the ideas. In my classroom, when I have
them work with a partner, there is a LOT of discussion, and anything that gets them
thinking about programming and talking about it is good. Plus, when you are talking to a
partner, you have to think about it at least enough to present your ideas and thoughts
coherently.

I don't have them work with a partner all the time. Probably less than half the time. They
have to write their quizzes and tests individually, so some programs must be done
individually. But I do find a lot of value from the partner thing. (This is in an AP Comp
Sci C++ course.)

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/