[Edu-sig] Intro and question: assignments/projects for year end

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Wed, 09 May 2001 21:34:44 -0700

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all the suggestion, both on this list
and in e-mail. I'm going to try to get something specific together for my
students by Friday.

As for these comments below:

On Wed, 9 May 2001 23:53:42 EDT, HotToPot@aol.com  wrote about [Edu-sig] Intro
and question: assignments/projects for year end  :

:Don't ask them to face a blank page.
:
:If its Game of Life, start them with functioning code and challenge
:them to extend it in some fairly specific way.
:
:If its graphics, start with functioning code that draws lines, ask them to
:draw
:boxes and circles.
:
:Even at high levels of programming, few people are asked to face the
:blank page.  One is  extending, optimizing, debugging, porting, etc.
:
:Give them something broken to fix. Plant a few bugs.
:
:But don't ask them to face the blank page.

I wasn't going to make the class all do the same project. I was going to let
them pick what they want to do. Last year I did this with the CMU Graphics
library, and it was a great success. However, in this scenario, it was mostly
necessary for them to "face a blank page". Well, let me qualify that: We did
have two "demo" programs for them to examine.

I'd like to thank Rob for suggesting the Useless Python site, as a reference. I
think you're right. That's a good source for samples and examples.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/