[Edu-sig] Intro and question: assignments/projects for year end

HotToPot@aol.com HotToPot@aol.com
Wed, 9 May 2001 23:53:42 EDT

>If they only have about two weeks to "learn" Python, and write a small
program
>or two, what types of things could I have them do? We won't have time to get
>into GUIs. These can't be very ambitious projects, due to the limited amount
of
>time.

A suggestion\idea made without great conviction, and  probably too general
to be of great use:

Don't ask them to face a blank page.

If its Game of Life, start them with functioning code and challenge
them to extend it in some fairly specific way.

If its graphics, start with functioning code that draws lines, ask them to
draw
boxes and circles.

Even at high levels of programming, few people are asked to face the
blank page.  One is  extending, optimizing, debugging, porting, etc.

Give them something broken to fix. Plant a few bugs.

But don't ask them to face the blank page.

ART