[Edu-sig] VPython/Tk visualization of residue classes

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:06:58 -0800

>This program is motivated by the material in Chapter 2 of Conway and
>Guy's "The Book of Numbers" book.  I think someone on this list
>recommended the book; it is a wonderful exposition of various patterns
>of numbers.
>
>--
>Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312

Belated response Fred.  I'm interested in what you're doing.

'Book of Numbers' was first mentioned by another poster saying
my 'Numeracy + Computer Literacy' series reminded her (?) of
this book:

http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/numeracy0.html

I didn't know what she meant exactly, and I didn't run out to
check right away -- was feeling kinda down on Conway, the world
famous mathematician, 'cause he'd been dissing one of my fave
teachers over on geometry_research (Math Forum)...

Anyway, I've since checked it out from the library, and lo and
behold, _lots_ of the same threads.  Way cool.  And I've just
been playing with residue classes myself in the crypto + group
theory + python paper I've been working on of late:
http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/crypto0.html

I don't have VPython running yet.  It wants to install to my
C drive for some reason, plus I'm only using 2.1 and will never

I encourage you to do a write-up re your project on the web
if you think that's worth your while.  That's where you can
show how to operate with your code, explain what it does, and
maybe give some screen shots, for those not actually running
the right stuff.  Just a thought.

Kirby