[Edu-sig] Online CompSci (py) course

Walter G. Ludwick wgl4@student.open.ac.uk
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 02:48:07 +0000

I've just subscribed to this list at the suggestion of Jeff Elkner, whose
text "How to think like a computer scientist (Python Version)" at
        http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/
quite impressed me -- so much so that i am working on a project proposal
to develop a course for delivery in Online Distance Education mode, using
this (or something like it) as a central text, and also incorporating
groupware for online collaboration among students and tutors.

I am a student (second year) in the MA-ODE (Open and Distance Education)
program offered by Open University UK through the IET (Institute of
Educational Technology);  this project should help me to fulfill some of
my academic requirements, and perhaps build a bridge to an interesting new
career direction (i've been involved with commercial web development for
awhile now, am playing with Zope and now looking at Python,  but am NO
programmer and don't ever expect to be one -- not in this life, anyway!
8-).

As part of my "due dilligence," i've a question that i'm hoping this
community might help me to answer:  Has anyone ever offered a course based
on the aforementioned text (or any other derivatives of the original text
by Allen Downey), or any course based on the Python language, in Online/
DistanceEd mode?  Any references, however obscure, would be most
appreciated.  Thanks for your attention to this.

|/|/alt
Walter Ludwick
wgl4@student.open.ac.uk