[Edu-sig] A fact on the ground

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:04:56 -0800

>so, why don't we look at computer science as a discipline of its own,
>teach it on its own, and then use it to enhance -other- subjects, not the
>other way around. maybe we'd get more people interested in computers early
>if it wasn't tied to acheievement in some other subject, so those who like
>it can be good at it instead of having to prove themselves at something
>they may not like first.
>

>Andrew

I think a better solution is to make sure that no math
barrier prerequistes get set up to prevent those eager
to learn programming from getting into it.

Your remark that your math skills have improved through
programming is precisely the reason I advocate phasing
in more programming, starting early, and not making
it a matter of prerequisites.

It's just that math courses are cram packed with stuff
it makes sense to program around.  So even IF the computer
science or programming courses ARE offered separately
down the hall, by other teachers, my sincere hope is that
the math teachers don't sit on their hands and make do
with mere calculators, while the real party passes them
by.

Math class should be fully endowed with high tech, not
languish as a "calculator ghetto" while all the good stuff
happens in other areas.

Kirby