[Edu-sig] A fact on the ground

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:22:29 -0600

A quick story.

Steve is an old friend  - a teacher for over 25 years at the Bronx High School

of Science - which has graduated well better than its
share of laureates of various stripes.

His subject has been what was called Industrial Science.  He is personally a
master woodworker, clocksmith, etc. - all approached with
a true scientific spirit (his brother happens to be a physicist). He was an
enthusiastic teacher of craftmanship.

Last year he was essentially forced to take a sabbatical - an advised to use it

to learn programming.  Took a few Java courses at a
local college - found he had no interest or aptitude.

His shop is closed and he is now teaching programming - I expect badly.

There is evidence I have read that this story is quite typical - that with
limited space and budget, schools aren't just adding
computer labs, they are converting art rooms, music rooms, etc  and taking from

their budgets.

To me this outcome is largely a result of approaching computer literacy,
programming, etc as an isolated discipline.

And why the integrated approach - math/programming seems the most natural - an

important fight, IMO.