[Edu-sig] CP4E VideoPython learning to teatch / teaching to learn ..[xpost: was {'cpl',"don't laugh"}]

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 01:56:44 -0400

Hi Steve

> The first way I can help is by making sure your tutorial gets seen by many
> people. Troubleshooters.Com gets about 900 distinct IP visitors per day.
> The second way I can help is by doing the parts of the tutorial you don't
> want to. The third way is by getting others involved. I have quite a few
> Python friends, including one who is writing an outline processor in
Python
> (he can certainly help with the advanced part of the tutorial). Also, I
can
> ask you various questions to prompt you to explore various Python "riffs",
> and you can ask questions to get me to do the same.

This are very kind and pragmatic suggestions.
Scary too, as it put me on the line - but in a good way.
I have never done anything like this, have very limited Python skills --
hmm...in fact good reasons for trying!
But I should do some homework, first look again at existing Python tutorials
and more, yours included of course.
I will definitely need help, but that might provide a good foundation to
evoke the spirit of tutorial..
The question prompts would be a good idea. and a Q&A dialogue is a good way
to get the ball rolling.

> I already have a very intro Python tutorial on the 'net at
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/codecorn/python/pptut.htm. When you see it,
> you'll notice it's a good foundation but completely ignores the wealth of
> tools that ship with Python. It's that lack of coverage of the tools in my
> existing tutorial that first called my attention to your post.

aha.. its a good start.

I have been wondering how one can have python tutorial work on-line in  web
page for someone who does not even have python installed.
In other words Python interpreter in a browser window.

Big scale this might be hard to do with rigor, but small scale, within the
confines of tutorials it would be great if one could have example code, hit
<enter> adn get a live response or error back. It should be possible using
Zope or JPython or something to pass input to Python and then catch the
output and return that. Problem would be to allow people to make their own
revisions adn see the effects, how to handle indenting etc..
hmm.Not sure maybe this is crazy..
Any ideas?

best wishes
- Jason