[Edu-sig] Re: Cryptonomicon

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:08:33 -0800

>It'd be a fun project for a student to verify the Python
>implementation of Solitaire against the test vectors provided
>(test vectors show, for example, what ciphertext you should
>get out, using what key and plaintext as inputs).

Of course Mordy Ovits has provided his own test vectors and
verification routines for his implementation of Solitaire,
so this fun project has already been done -- I shoulda realized.

>As I recall from the novel, the Perl version makes heavy
>use of regular expressions.  Probably the Python version
>is written the same way (I haven't looked at it yet).

It's not -- no regular expressions at all.  Solitaire in
Python therefore seems far less cryptic to me than the Perl
implementation -- but that's not surprising, as I'm no
Perl guru.

From Solitaire.py:

# NOTE: the Solitaire encryption algorithm is strong cryptography.
# That means the security it affords is based on the secrecy of the
# key rather than secrecy of the algorithm itself.  That also means
# that this program and programs derived from it may be treated as
# a munition for the purpose of export regulation in the United States
# and other countries.  You are encouraged to seek competent legal
# counsel before distributing copies of this program.

Fun fun!

Kirby