[Edu-sig] How best to publish?...

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 15 May 2000 13:49:02 +0200

Kirby Urner wrote:

> >In order for this to be possible there needs to be a commonly used
> >format for publishing this type of material!
>
> I suppose -- but sounds like one of those elusive holy
> grail type goals.  DocBooks sounds expensive/proprietary,
> so that eliminates it as a candidate in my book.

It may sound expensive/proprietary, but actually it's an open standard
used all over the free software/open source world. For instance by
the Linux Documentation Project.

http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

There are definitely free tools to work with DocBook; RedHat 6.2
comes with built-in docbook tools. (and as was mentioned earlier,
there's a docbook component for Zope in development)

DocBook may still be a bit of a hassle right now, and the tagset
is huge, but it's not a closed standard. There's even a book on it
online.

Regards,

Martijn