[Edu-sig] How best to publish?...

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo@email.com
Sun, 14 May 2000 17:17:39 -0700

Well,

I am not sure where the idea that DocBook is a proprietary format or
requires proprietary tools came up.  The DocBook materials are all
available on-line, and even the book, DocBook, is an open-source
publication (created using DocBook).  Everything is available on-line in
open-source forms.  The CD-ROM that comes with the O'Reilly printed
version of the book has a selection of tools to use with it, and I
notice there is slow progress in having more of them.  There is
certainly room to provide more, and especially take advantage of the
DocBook XML DTD.

Nevertheless, I agree that HTML is very appealing as a basic source
format.  Using HTML is a very low cost-of-entry approach and I like
that.

In my work it is also appealing to be able to make Microsoft HTML Help
documents (basically HTML pages compiled into a special-single file much
the way PDF is used), and either HTML or DocBook as the editable,
authored form works for this.  See the *.chm file of the DocBook book
for an example that I like.  Since *.chm files can contain scripts,
there is also the prospect of including worked python examples and being
able to operate / demonstrate them from within the *.chm compilation.  I
am intrigued by that.

-- Dennis

AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator
I am traveling until June 1, 2000, and am best reached via E-mail.

Dennis E. Hamilton
InfoNuovo
mailto:infonuovo@email.com
http://www.infonuovo.com