[Edu-sig] Things to come

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Sat, 13 May 2000 14:14:10 -0700

At 02:05 PM 05/12/2000 -0400, Jeffrey Elkner wrote:
>On Fri, 12 May 2000, Arthur Siegel wrote:
>> So can we say that curricula should lead - not language or interface?

>Curricula, on the other hand are still sorely lacking, and Python will
>not be adapted widely in schools without it.  The question then is
>what to do to overcome this lack.  I am really interested to see how
>this develops.

Me too.  Sitting around waiting for mass-publishing to catch
up is NOT the way to go however.  That's just being lazy.
Seems you agree.

>One of the things most attractive to me is the opportunity to be
>part of a development effort that has the possibility of being
>collaborative in nature and focused on the legitament needs of
>learners rather than profit driven and characterized by salesmanship
>and hype.

Yep.

>I want it to be successful and I am willing to put a lot of my
>own time into it for that reason.

This is what I've been doing.

>I've already met and am working with others who feel the same way.

Great.

>If anyone has any time on their hands and wants to help out, it
>would be a big help to me if we could get the livewires course
>materials put into some web ready format.

I'm working on developing my own curriculum materials, but
best wishes with that effort.

BTW, I don't consider PDFs all that web-unready (despite
you can't easily change the text, but not all published
documents are open source code in that sense.

As an author/writer, I produce finished products, as well
as works in progress.  The concept of plagiarism still
holds (i.e. if it's not your own work, don't pretend that
it is; credit your sources).

>These excellent middle school level materials can be found at:
>
>http://yhslug.tux.org/obp/livewires

Yep.

>I have two students working on converting them into HTML.

Did you see the Python source-code colorizor posted about
here?  Great to show Python source in color-coded HTML, using
same colors as IDLE, AND make it downloadable as .py files
(zipped or as tar-balls).

>They are volunteers and the work is proceeding slower
>than I would like.  I will be learning to use DocBook this
>summer, and will try to write Python tools to convert them
>into DocBook, but I don't know yet how that will go.

Why so much energy into rehashing Livewires stuff into
these various other formats?  Better to source your own
curriculum materials, no?, given there's a shortage of
good Python-centric literature right now.

I don't see pouring old wine into new skins as the same
thing as curriculum writing.

>Thanks in advance for all the help that I know is forthcoming  ;-)

Kirby