[Edu-sig] Stop the insanity -- no more case sensitivity discussion!

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 09:20:36 -0800

At 08:58 AM 02/06/2000 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>This is the message I received; forwarded with permission.  To repeat,
>I'm really sorry to see people withdraw from this great forum for this
>reason.

Guido --

Personally, I think it's immature of Terry to whine to
you privately, instead of sharing his valuable focus
and perspective with the whole group.  He gave us only
a few days to live up to his standards and then quit
in a huff.

I have likewise shared my frustration with the "fantasy
land" attitute taken by many posters, who just want to
sit back and dream of language improvements they're not
going to implement themselves.  But I don't take advantage
of my frustration to make a big stink.

I note that you yourself were one of those who weighed
in on the case-sensitivity issue (as did I --both of us
briefly).

>he needs.  If you disagree, do so in silence.  I've learned that

I'm not sending an email to Terry about any of this, but
it may come up again that some lurker is outraged by
the direction of the threads and doesn't bother to pipe
up.  So I'm going to disagree with Terry's approach out
loud, not in silence.

If you want this to be a moderated group, that's fine, but
in the meantime I don't think you can assume that everyone
reads your edicts -- about what to talk about or not talk
about (nor mine either of course).  If we get more posts
re cs, it might be from newbies just joined, or others who
didn't track this 'insanity' thread.  They shouldn't get
jumped on either -- make this a moderated group if you
plan to exercise strict controls over content.

Kirby