[Edu-sig] writing an chat-server

A[r]TA arta@x-stream.nl
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:51:54 +0200

> This looks like a problem with Windows sockets.  I know
> the program works perfectly on Unix -- i tested it.
>
> Does it work if you implement the readline() routine
> without makefile()?  That is, add this:
>
>     def readline(sock):
>         line = ""
>         while 1:
>             ch = sock.recv(1)
>             line = line + ch
>             if ch == "\n" or not ch: return line
>
> and replace this:
>
>     text = sock.makefile().readline()
>
> with this:
>
>     text = readline(sock)

That's fine. And now I've to got a clientprogram.
I know it must be the same way as the server. A whole loop and stuff like
that.
But how do I get something like raw_input that doesn't desturb the loop and
waits till
the enterbutton is hit?

A[r]TA

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will
be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
- T. S. Eliot