[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jun 1 21:09:57 EDT 2017

> On Jun 1, 2017, at 7:53 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
> On 2017-06-01 20:45:53 +0000 (+0000), Brett Cannon wrote:
> [...]
>> I think *twine* is the tool that needs a way to specify how to
>> produce an sdist. If we want to view twine as the tool to upload
>> artifacts to PyPI then we need twine to know how to produce sdists
>> and wheels in a PEP 517 world, not pip.
> [...]
>
> Why do you think that? Because traditionally you could call setup.py
> to upload an sdist as well as build it?
>
> One thing I really like about twine, as the tool I trust with my
> PyPI creds, is that it's a very simple tool unencumbered by
> unrelated features. While I agree that the tool which retrieves and
> installs packages doesn't necessarily also need to be the tool which
> builds packages, I don't see why the tool which securely uploads
> packages should take on that function either. In the UNIX sense of
> doing one thing well, I'd much rather see a separate tool for each
> of these roles.

I think a separate tool for each of these roles is somewhat user unfriendly TBH.

Splitting things across multiple projects tends to confuse users and increases the conceptual overhead. I sometimes wonder if we should be folding twine into pip itself, although keeping the split between twine == package authoring tool and pip == package installing tool seems like a reasonable enough divide.

—
Donald Stufft