[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 1 19:53:20 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-01 20:45:53 +0000 (+0000), Brett Cannon wrote:
[...]
> I think *twine* is the tool that needs a way to specify how to
> produce an sdist. If we want to view twine as the tool to upload
> artifacts to PyPI then we need twine to know how to produce sdists
> and wheels in a PEP 517 world, not pip.
[...]

Why do you think that? Because traditionally you could call setup.py
to upload an sdist as well as build it?

One thing I really like about twine, as the tool I trust with my
PyPI creds, is that it's a very simple tool unencumbered by
unrelated features. While I agree that the tool which retrieves and
installs packages doesn't necessarily also need to be the tool which
builds packages, I don't see why the tool which securely uploads
packages should take on that function either. In the UNIX sense of
doing one thing well, I'd much rather see a separate tool for each
of these roles.
--
Jeremy Stanley