[Distutils] Making pip and PyPI work with conda packages

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun May 17 01:16:55 CEST 2015

> On May 16, 2015, at 7:09 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io <mailto:donald at stufft.io>> wrote:
> There are a few other benefits, but that’s not anything that are inherent in the two different approaches, it’s just things that conda has that pip is planning on getting,
>
> Huh? I"'m confused -- didn't we just have a big thread about how pip+wheel probably ISN'T going to handle shared libs -- that those are exactly what conda packages do provide -- aside from R and Erlange, anyway :-)
>
> but it's not the packages in this case that we need -- it's the environment -- and I can't see how pip is going to provide a conda environment….

I never said pip was going to provide an environment, I said the main benefit conda has over pip, which pip will most likely not get in any reasonable time frame, is that it handles things which are not Python packages. A shared library is not a Python package so I’m not sure what this message is even saying? ``pip install lxml-from-conda`` is just going to flat out break because pip won’t install the libxml2 shared library.

---
Donald Stufft