[Distutils] API for registering/managing URLs for a package

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 18 21:00:10 CEST 2013

On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>

>> On Jul 18, 2013, at 7:10 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to write a script to automatically register release URLs
>>> for PyPI packages.
>>>
>>> Is the REST API documented somewhere, or is the implementation the
>>> spec ? ;-)
>>>
>>> And related to this:
>>>
>>> Will there be an option to tell PyPI's CDN to cache the release
>>> URL's contents ?
>>
>> I think you are perhaps confused, the use of external URLs on PyPI is formally deprecated. The way you inform the PyPI and the CDN network about your package is you upload it to PyPI. pip 1.4 effectively disables "unsafe" external URLs, and all external URLs will follow soon.
>
> Someone reminded me that I'm only partially correct, the external URL stuffs will continue to be supported, but only as a convenience during package registration/upload. From the PoV of clients (and the CDN) everything will be local.
>
> --Noah

Noah,
    External urls are still supported (Although discouraged).

Marc-Andre,
    There is documentation in the PEP, however I have another PEP
    coming up for a more streamlined upload process that also contains
    a much nicer method of sending external urls as well. So you might
    want to wait for that.

Donald Stufft