[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Wed Jul 10 11:38:31 CEST 2013

On 10 July 2013 18:28, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 07/09/2013 11:20 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>
>> doesn't "PyEnv" which is bundled with Python 3.3+ replace virtualenv?
>> What's the purpose of including virtualenv in the bootstrap?
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/
>
> Environments generated by pyvenv lack setuptools, which makes them
> un-useful compared to those generated by virtualenv.

Yes, but Python 3.4 will have the pip bootstrap which automatically
installs setuptools. Unless you mean that pyvenv itself (sans pip)
would be more useful with setuptools?

> Virtualenv is also
> useful across the important set of Python versions (2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3),
> which pyvenv (or any shipped-in-core varieant) can never be.

Yes, that's why I suggested the Python 2 version will install virtualenv :-)

There's currently no plan to release a Python 3.3 version of the
bootstrap, and certainly not one for a Py3k version lower than that.
Hm. We can think about it though.

     Richard