[Distutils] unable to upload to pypi

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Wed Jul 27 16:23:32 CEST 2011

On Jul 27, 2011, at 9:34 AM, Alan Franzoni wrote:

> On Wed 27 Jul 2011 02:34:03 PM CEST, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
>> In short, the order is important:
>>
>> 	1. build a source distribution
>> 	2. register
>> 	3. upload
>
> I'd object that. I've always used register without creating a source
> dist; the data used for registering just comes from the setup.py file
> AFAIK.

I stand corrected.  :-)
The above is my usual workflow and I never had issues with registering/uploading.  The OPs recorded session with pypi looked as if it had the problem because of the ordering.  Hence my suggestion above.

> I've tried downloading the .tar.gz and using its setup.py, I got this
> error:
>
> running register
> running check
> Registering Matalg to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
> Server response (400): Invalid classifier "Development Status ::
> Release 0.1.0"

This is obviously the problem, but it wasn't shown in the recorded session he posted.  As I was quickly skimming through thread, I did not even notice that the source was posted (and did not have time to try it even if I did).

Thank you for researching this.
I'm sure the OP will appreciate your findings as well.

Best regards,

	Zvezdan