[Distutils] GCC versions and binary egg names

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:51:37 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> Such as between Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04? ;-)

That should still work, they both use gcc 4.x (unless you depend on
C++, and then you are in for a fun ride...)

>>> How're people coping with this?
>>> What are the future plans in this area?
>>
>> If you need to follow non trivial ABI aspects, the current python
>> infrastructure
>> is too simplistic.
>
> One idea I've had is to have a separate index for each required combination
> and use layered --find-links= with easy_install to pick the right
> combination.

That's one of the numerous reason why the whole idea of embedding
metadata in the filename falls short once you go beyond trivial
issues. The combination alone makes it complicated very fast. Trying
to come up with such a scheme in python is foolish IMHO: the problem
is complicated, and nobody has been able to solve it in a general
manner anyway.

I would strongly look into system packages-based solutions unless you
really cannot use them (non root install). If you can't use system
packages, then look at how the big ones do it (mozilla, intel,
etc...). Be ready to spend weeks on the problem if you don't have the
expertise...

cheers,

David