[Distutils] GCC versions and binary egg names

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 19:39:14 CEST 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> In addition to the UCS2/4 problems already described by MAL and which I've
>> bumped into myself, I now have a problem with binary linux eggs where the
>> GCC version doesn't match that of the system the egg is being installed on.
>
> That really should not be a problem, unless you use vastly different
> versions of gcc.

Such as between Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04? ;-)

>> How're people coping with this?
>> What are the future plans in this area?
>
> If you need to follow non trivial ABI aspects, the current python
> infrastructure
> is too simplistic.

One idea I've had is to have a separate index for each required
combination and use layered --find-links= with easy_install to pick the
right combination.

eg:

easy_install --find-links=/private/eggs --find-links=/8.04-eggs somepack

How do people feel about this as a solution?

I can't remember, can buildout and/or easy_install support multiple
find-links locations?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk