[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Sep 21 05:58:06 CEST 2009

At 10:26 PM 9/20/2009 -0400, David Lyon wrote:
> > Eh?  It's *possible* to specify it in those places now, but
> > well-behaved packages never do.
>
>Not on windows, outside of the c:\pythonXY directory.

Create a setup.cfg with an [install] section and you can make it
install wherever you tell it to...  when installing using
setup.py.  (bdist_wininst and bdist_msi are something else altogether.)

>Define well behaved..
>
>If you are saying that Python observes all microsofts
>recommendations under windows and is "well-behaved" I think
>I'd have some comments about that.
>
>"Well behaved" is installing a python program to "Program Files"
>but distutils doesn't allow this to my knowledge.

It most certainly does; but not in a bdist_wininst or bdist_msi
(AFAIK), and definitely not by default.  You'd need to specify the
location on the command line.

> > If platform/pyver-specific dependencies are all that's required,
> > there's a way to specify them using setuptools' existing dependency
> > syntax, using "extras".
>
>But you have told everybody that setuptools is dead... and
>you don't have any plans to work on it any more..

You are misrepresenting my statements.  I have neither called it dead
nor have I said I don't have plans to work on it any more.  (In fact,
I've said the opposite, noting that the existence of Distribute makes
the possibility of doing some advanced work on setuptools *more*
likely, because I needn't worry so much about the maintenance backlog.)