[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Sep 21 04:26:14 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:34:07 -0400, "P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com>
wrote:
>>An application needs to know what directory it has been installed
>>in and where it can find configuration files and so forth.
>
> It appears I was unclear: it is not the application's business to
> *decide* what the installation directory is.

I never said it was...

>> > nor is it something that should be specified in setup.py or
>> > setup.cfg, as that is 100% the user's business to choose, and the
>> > platform tools to supply a default for.
>>
>>Well, it certainly doesn't work that way at the moment.
>
> Eh?  It's *possible* to specify it in those places now, but
> well-behaved packages never do.

Not on windows, outside of the c:\pythonXY directory.

Define well behaved..

If you are saying that Python observes all microsofts
recommendations under windows and is "well-behaved" I think
I'd have some comments about that.

"Well behaved" is installing a python program to "Program Files"
but distutils doesn't allow this to my knowledge.

> If platform/pyver-specific dependencies are all that's required,
> there's a way to specify them using setuptools' existing dependency
> syntax, using "extras".

But you have told everybody that setuptools is dead... and
you don't have any plans to work on it any more..

> In other words, there's already a framework for actually
> *implementing* conditional dependencies, it just needs to have a
> convention for naming of "extras" to allow it to work.  And in the
> absence of tool support, it could even be implemented manually, by
> adding the necessary extra names on the command line of existing
> installation tools.

Sure. That's what's being discussed.

David