[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:23:13 -0500 (EST)

John Skaller writes:
 >         I don't think we (necessarily) need equivalents
 > for the following reason:
 > the sysconfig data isn't meant for user access: its there to support
 > implementation of functions like 'compile_this_c_as_a_module'.

  I was thinking that it needed to be there for use by the
"compile..." stuff, but if it's not needed, then importing sysconfig
shouldn't break things.  (With the last patch, it would raise a
NameError when os.name wasn't "posix".)
  People that know the other platforms better will have to determine
if sysconfig-style data is useful.  If it is, please provide an
_init_<os.name>() function that does the right thing.  I do expect the
specific names that are defined to be specific to the platform;
there's no need to provide the same names.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191