[DB-SIG] Gadfly into Python core - comments?

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:12:22 +0100

At 19:07 2003-01-08 +1100, Stuart Bishop wrote:
>Do people have any commments on incorporating Gadfly into the standard
>Python distribution?

I've been thinking the same thing. Another thought that crossed my
mind was to include support for SQLite instead. That's not a database
written in Python, but it's a similar, simple, embedded SQL subset
thingie that can be used freely and doesn't require any server setup
etc. I think they both work more or less equally well for prototyping
and single user applications etc.

AFAIK, SQLite implements a somewhat larger subset of SQL (at least it
supports LIKE!), and it's in the Public Domain, with the python interface
using the Python Licence.

Since Gadfly is maintained again, it might be a more viable choice
than it was a year ago or so, but as you note, it's still a maintenace
effort. SQLite is maintained by someone else, and I'm pretty sure it
has a userbase which is much larger than Gadfly. Thus the maintenace
effort of including SQLite is restricted to a fairly simple DB API
implementation and the inclusion of a rather small third party product,
much as with zlib etc today.

SQLite also has additional benefits such as a standalone SQL monitor
etc.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN