[DB-SIG] Gadfly into Python core - comments?

Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:00:10 +1100

>>> Stuart Bishop wrote
>
> Do people have any commments on incorporating Gadfly into the standard
> Python distribution?

The major concern I'd have is that the code's got some ... idiosyncrasies.
It is based on kjbuckets (well, it is if you want something that doesn't
suck utterly for performance). It would be nice if it used the python2.3
'sets' module.

On the other hand, python's shipped with dumbdbm for yonks, and before
2.1.2, it was almost _im_possible to use that without causing data
corruption, and it's still abysmally slow today.

I don't think there's much chance of this being done in time for 2.3,
but for 2.4 it should be possible.

I'm also not sure off the top of my head how much of the DB-API is
actually supported by gadfly.