[DB-SIG] Popy - Psycopg - PyPgSQL - PyGreSQL

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:21:19 +0200

At 10:45 2002-10-01 +0200, Jekabs Andrushaitis wrote:
>I am not saying that [psycopg] is best, however my advice is
>not to use Python module supplied with PostgreSQL sources...

Why not?

In general I don't mind diversity, but I four
drivers for the same database seems a bit redundant.

Any chance that some of these will merge?

After all, largely due to open source, we are
going towards more and more of a component
architecture in our software solutions, and we
use different libraries and frameworks for different
parts of the system. A library or framework that
is built in python and use PostgreSQL might use
any of these four drivers.

Thus, if we pick several of these components, that
do different things, we might end up with several
different and possibly conflicting database drivers
for communication between Python and PostgreSQL. I
haven't been bitten by this yet, but it seems a
bit confusing to me...

Also, I imagine that the remaining of these drivers
could become even better if all the development,
testing and documentation attention was focused on
that.

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5