[DB-SIG] SQLserver and mySQL examples for a newbie

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:39:04 +0100

ronny.de_winter@alcatel.be wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> >
> > You must have admin rights on the machine and install the package
> > as admin if you have installed Python in the same way.
>
> I don't have administrator rights, did install python without admin rights.
>
> > > However the final message was: module successfully installed
> >
> > Please check whether the files are all there in \Python21\mx
> > and subdirs. If not, you are having a permission problem. Distutils
> > packages install directly into the Python distribution per default
> > and depending on how you've installed Python itself, you may
> > run into trouble when installing extensions using some other
> > user account.
>
> Used the same account. The files are there in \Python21\mx.
> Don't understand what was different with MySQLdb, installation looked
> similar (in \Python21\MySQLdb) and it works.

AFAIK, MySQLdb uses distutils just like mxODBC does, so there must
be some other problem...

Please run Python in verbose mode and check where the import
of mx.ODBC.Windows fails:

python -vv
>>> import mx.ODBC.Windows

Just to make sure:
You did install egenix-mx-base *before* installing
egenix-mx-commercial (the base package includes mxDateTime which is
needed by the commercial one).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH