[C++-sig] boost.python newbie hassles

Willi Richert w.richert at gmx.net
Wed Aug 9 16:32:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

As I am exploring whether I can let my students use it in our robotics group I
like it more and more. However, there are some little problems for newbies:

1. the web doc is out of date.
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/jwicks/boost/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html
e.g. is very different from the doc in the tar.bz2 on sourceforge. A simple
copy of the tar version to the web would be enough I think and save lots of
trials.

2. boost.python projects have to be located in the boost directory tree, other
than printed at the tutorial docs - as far as I have tried. If I move the
tutorial greet example to another directory and update path-global in
Jamrules I always get:

 wr@[ikarus]:~/workspace/Boost.Python/src> bjam
Failed to find the project root for directory '.'.
Did not find a project-root.jam file there or in any of its parent
directories.
Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

I'm using ubuntur 6.06. There I have installed
boost-build
libboost-python1.33.1
libboost-python-dev
bjam

In order to get the tutorial compiled I have to use the sf.net downloaded
version. The above mentioned packages do not suffice. Shouldn't they?

My version of bjam is
Boost.Jam  Version 3.1.11. OS=LINUX

Regards,
wr