[C++-sig] boost python liking problems

Eduardo Picado eduardo.picado at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:15:28 CEST 2006

On 7/28/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> "Eduardo Picado" <eduardo.picado at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to use Boost Python to wrap a 3rd party library. I have the
> > headers, DLLs and a .lib file.
> > When I try to compile my .cpp files I receive linkage errors:
>
> Surely this is when you try to link your shared objects...
>
> > -------------
> > Creating library
> > bin\telismaPyste\TASRNlSmlResult.pyd\msvc\debug\threading-multi\TASRNlSmlResult.lib
> > and object bin\telismaPyste\TASRNlSmlResult.pyd\msvc\debug\threading-multi\TASRNlSmlResult.exp
> > TASRNlSmlResult.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> > "public: char const * __thiscall TASRNlSmlResult::str(void)const "
> > (?str at TASRNlSmlResult@@QBEPBDXZ)
>
> Are you sure you didn't just forget to define the member function
>
>   TASRNlSmlResult::str() const
>
> as denoted in the error message?  The message gives the impression
> that it's supposed to be part of your code.  If not,
>
> extension TASRNlSmlResult
> : # sources
>   whatever.cpp
>
>   # requirements and dependencies for Boost.Python extensions
>   <template>@boost/libs/python/build/extension
>
>   : # additional requirements
>     <library-file>path/to/library/containing/that/function.lib
>   ;

Dave,

Thanks for your reply; the appropriate <library-file> directive solved
my problem here.

BTW, it seems to me that it is much easier to compile my modules with
Boost Python using VC8 instead of VC6 (that gives many "fatal error
C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR", per example). Is this a fact? Should
I forget using VC 6?

Regards,

Eduardo Picado