[C++-sig] jamfile vs. jamrule vs. boost-build.jam

Francesco Queirolo francescoqueirolo at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 02:01:02 CET 2005

Greetings All,

I have done some web searching (http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/
etc), and also searching the list via Gmane and could not find a
satisfactory result to the following questions?:

When should you edit the boost-build.jam instead of jamrules?

Do you need a jamrules in the root directory of every project?

You just need a boost-build.jam in the root directory of your project or
somewhere further up the hierarch?

What are the purposes of the three different files?
 Is the jamfile to specify depencies and what the target executable is? Is
the jamrules file only for setting parameters such as TOOLS and
PYTHON_ROOT so they don't have to be entered every time on the command line?
 Is the only reason to have a boost-build.jam to point to tools/build/v1
subdirectory?

If someone could point me to another reference to answer these questions
or answer them outright I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Francesco Queirolo