[C++-sig] Problem with identifying polymorphic types on Mac OS X?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 00:08:30 CET 2005

Hi Mike,

It is a bogus error message I have been struggling with for some time. Here is
one of my typical workarounds:

class something
{
  // lots of code...
    private:
#if defined(__APPLE__) && defined(__MACH__) \
 && defined(__GNUC__) && __GNUC__ == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ == 3
      bool dummy_;
#endif
      uctbx::unit_cell unit_cell_;
      fractional<> original_site_;
      const wyckoff::position* position_;
      rt_mx sym_op_;
};

I.e. simply adding a dummy bool as a member is typically enough to make the
compiler happy. I've not been able to figure out what exactly causes the bogus
error message. If anyone knows I'd be glad to learn about it.

Cheers,
        Ralf