[Compiler-sig] Question about slice

Finn Bock bckfnn@worldonline.dk
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:23:57 GMT

Hi,

Yet another question, this time about the slice ctors and how they
should be used. I made a little change locally:

-             | ExtSlice(expr* dims)
+             | ExtSlice(slice* dims)

and I have used the Slice and ExtSlice like this (only showing the
actual slice):

L[1] -->
    Slice[lower=Num[n=1], upper=null]

L[1:2] -->
    Slice[lower=Num[n=1], upper=Num[n=2]]

L[1:2, 3] -->
    ExtSlice[dims=[
        Slice[lower=Num[n=1], upper=Num[n=2]],
        Slice[lower=Num[n=3], upper=null]
    ]]

Is that about right? It seem to work OK.

Except that jython happens to support a step argument to its
slicesyntax.

Jython 2.1+ on java1.4.0-beta3 (JIT: null)
>>> "1234567890"[::2]
'13579'

How do you feel about adding a step argument to the Slice ctor?

regards,
finn