[Compiler-sig] Availability of my peephole optimizer

Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:50:29 -0600 (CST)

[ moved from the python-checkins list to compiler-sig and re-subjected ... ]

    Fred> You're right, it *should* be there.  5+.5j should be a constant as
    Fred> well.

Funny thing.  My peepholer does that too.

Jeremy sent me a message earlier asking if my peephole optimizer was
available as something other than a patch.  I'll try and whip it into a bit
better shape and bring it into line with the current CVS code and make it
available as a more-or-less package.  In places where existing code is
modified (e.g. ceval.c, compile.c, dis.py) I think it makes more sense to
distribute a patch than a new file, however, since patches stand a better
chance of being robust in the face of other changes.

Is Greg Ward or other distutils expert seeing this (how about Greg
Stein...)?  If so, would you care to comment on the ability of distutils to
handle patches to the core distribution?  Is it worth considering making
this stuff available via distutils at this point given that it requires mods
to so many files in the core distribution?

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
"Languages that change by catering to the tastes of non-users tend not to do
so well." - Doug Landauer