[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Rob Cakebread gentoodev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:54:48 CEST 2007

On 7/10/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Yes. However, it's not clear to me that the infrastructure needs to
> (or even is able to) enforce sensible naming. Instead, any policing
> that might be necessary should be done in the community. If two
> packages are named too similarly, users will get confused, and
> eventually one package may disappear, get renamed, get its naming
> challenged in court, and so on. It's not the job of the package
> *index* to do that sort of policing.

Every package index I can think of does enforce sensible naming, except PyPI.

Nobody is going to change the name of their project if you enforce
sensible naming for PyPI, they'll just have to map their project name
to a way that is easily mapped to PyPI's system, just like on
Freshmeat, RubyForge etc.