[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 11 07:16:26 CEST 2007

> Note that Windows (and Mac OS under certain circumstances) have filename
> case insensitivity, and have different restrictions about what can or
> can't be in a filename than Unix.  Spaces and other punctuation
> characters can cause problems for shells, even if they're theoretically
> acceptable as filenames.

I can see that collisions should be avoided in advance when it comes to
file names. However, the name of a software package is not necessarily a
file name, nor is it even related to the name of files inside the
package.

*Python* package names are the ones that must not conflict. For
a packaging tool, the names of the package files must not conflict,
either. For the package names in general, issues of file names
are only remotely relevant, on a first glance.

> IOW, setuptools' focus is more on distribution filename safety, rather
> than on sensible naming distinctions for end users.  The former is less
> restrictive than the latter, I believe.

Yes. However, it's not clear to me that the infrastructure needs to
(or even is able to) enforce sensible naming. Instead, any policing
that might be necessary should be done in the community. If two
packages are named too similarly, users will get confused, and
eventually one package may disappear, get renamed, get its naming
challenged in court, and so on. It's not the job of the package
*index* to do that sort of policing.