[BangPypers] CBSE to teach introduction to python in class 11 and 12

Harish Vishwanath harish.shastry at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 19:12:32 CEST 2013

Python is beautiful - I firmly believe in "If everything fails, try
python". But I also think caution is required if Python is to be adopted in
the school/college curriculum. The elegance and comfort of Python shouldn't
hamper understanding of basics of programming. A one liner in python can
replace an entire program written in C/C++, but teachers should put
sufficient time and effort so that the "magic" happening behind the scenes
is unfurled for students.

For example,
file("new.txt","w").write(file("test.txt").read().replace("The","BBB")) is
packing so much behind the scenes. Students should learn about what exactly
is happening behind the scenes [file pointers, handling eof, string
handling, finding/replacing patterns etc.,] before taking things for
granted. These important details can be better understood by learning to
program in Assembly / C/C++ first.

Regards,
Harish