[BangPypers] [ANN][X-Post] SciPy India conference in Dec. 2009

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:24:30 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > django, plone has about one issue every two years - usually minor and
>> > not
>> > affecting anything critical. There is something radically wrong in a
>> > software
>> > that gets one core critical issue a month (even then drupal is better
>> > than
>> > wordpress that churns out such things 2 or 3 times a month).
>>
>> Django is not a CMS.
>
>   Technically yes, but practically Django is the closest you can get to
>   write CMS-y apps in Python apart from Plone. So though "Django is not
>   CMS", "Django has CMS" and in pratical terms, that is good enough to
>   say Djangi is like a CMS in common parlance. At least this is what I have
>   heard directly from people who build and support Django based websites
>   in production, such as Ramdas.
>
>   This is what is said in the Django FAQ also.

Be practical. You are asking to write a Django application and start
customizing it by writing code and take the headache of maintaining
it?

>> Setting up Plone and customizing is not very easy. I have tried and
>> gave up. Most Plone sites have a typical plone look and it indicates
>> that it is not easy to customize that. Try comparing number of themes
>> available for Drupal and Plone.
>
>  It did not look like the scipy.in site is customizable.  I registerd as a
> user
>  there and there was no user customization options. But perhaps you
>  just mean site level customization.

I'm taking about customizing appearance.

>  Btw, don't say Plone is not customizable. We use Plone in the EIAO
>  project and has create an entirely different product called worksite out
>  of it customizing it in every possible fashion. Of course the person behind
>  it is a Python wiz, but it is not an impossible task to do as you are
> trying
>  to make it sound.

The person behind Plone might be a wiz and it might be possible to
build super-powerful websites using Plone. But Drupal beats Plone when
it comes to setting up simple websites like a conference website and
customizing look and feel.

>From the appearance I can immediately say that http://www.eiao.net/ is
running on Plone. It has a typical Plone look. I couldn't say that
scipy.in is running on Drupal just from it look and feel.

Btw, some part or whole of scipy.in is running on Django.

http://scipy.in/scope

Anand