[BangPypers] [ANN][X-Post] SciPy India conference in Dec. 2009

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:11:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>wrote:

> > django, plone has about one issue every two years - usually minor and not
> > affecting anything critical. There is something radically wrong in a
> software
> > that gets one core critical issue a month (even then drupal is better
> than
> > wordpress that churns out such things 2 or 3 times a month).
>
> Django is not a CMS.

  Technically yes, but practically Django is the closest you can get to
  write CMS-y apps in Python apart from Plone. So though "Django is not
  CMS", "Django has CMS" and in pratical terms, that is good enough to
  say Djangi is like a CMS in common parlance. At least this is what I have
  heard directly from people who build and support Django based websites
  in production, such as Ramdas.

  This is what is said in the Django FAQ also.

> Setting up Plone and customizing is not very easy. I have tried and
> gave up. Most Plone sites have a typical plone look and it indicates
> that it is not easy to customize that. Try comparing number of themes
> available for Drupal and Plone.

 It did not look like the scipy.in site is customizable.  I registerd as a
user
 there and there was no user customization options. But perhaps you
 just mean site level customization.

 Btw, don't say Plone is not customizable. We use Plone in the EIAO
 project and has create an entirely different product called worksite out
 of it customizing it in every possible fashion. Of course the person behind

 it is a Python wiz, but it is not an impossible task to do as you are
trying
 to make it sound.

> Anand

--Anand