[BangPypers] Getting the know-how of UI effects using HTML etc..

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 07:38:07 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To take this question further....It seems it would help everyone if someone
> could explain...the need for Templating vs Creating HTML on the fly like we
> did in CGI scripts.
> Why would there be a need for Templating...if we can create similar HTML on
> the fly...by simply using print statements and raw strings that can be
> stored in the python file or using modules like HTMLTags.py or HTMLgen.

Your dichotomy is not exactly accurate. People initially using print
statements directly print strings. Then they put these strings in
files which can be substituted. Then they find that they're
cutting/pasting into multiple files so they introduce some facility to
include other strings. Then they find that they don't want to change
all the content but just some parts so they introduce some
substitution tricks. Then they want valid XHTML even if their
application tries to mess up so they separate form and content. This
goes on and you get a templating language. It's really a gradual
change rather than a 'direct HTML' vs. 'templates'.

I for one find it very convenient to use a templating system (I mostly
use clearsilver). It's easy to modify my layout without  touching my
actual code.

[..]

--
~noufal