[BangPypers] GUI framework in Python...

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:22:57 CEST 2008

Thanks Sridhar. I had tried the link earlier as well.
According to them wxpython is the best one for me. However, from my short
experience I have noticed the wxpython applications (at least on Windows)
take very long (3 - 7 seconds) to come up. Example is the well known Wing
IDE. Not only that, they are also not very responsive and remind me of some
Java Swing applications. Every time they come up...its bound to make the
rest of the computer unresponsive (that might be because the Java runtime is
coming up...).

There is no real good option for commercial development in Python in my view
right now...and i am frantically searching for one !!!

Fox, FLTK are not completely safe due to the LGPL license clauses.
WxPython is not very good at responsiveness, and the API is not simple
enough.
Qt is not free, and the free distribution is not for commerical development
easygui is not good enough for applications that are going to have long
lifetimes.
PythonCard comes without a GUI designer. Atleast I could not find one on
their website.

So the options left are:
a) Use IronPython to get all the Windows Forms stuff
b) Use PythonWin and use MFC to build the GUI
c) Use the Embedded Websever approach and make the web browser as your GUI
host.
d) Use Delphi to create the GUI and use P4D for connecting to Python.

I am most interested in option C, because thats the least dependent on other
language bindings etc etc.
Option d also looks attractive, after working with PyScripter for sometime,
but I dont know Pascal/Delphi and dont own an IDE for the same.  But its
available only for Windows.

Ideas welcome :)

Thanks and best regards,
Vishal

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Sridhar Ratnakumar <
sridhar.ratna at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html
>
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We would like to use a GUI framework with our Python code.
> > Any pointers by actual users of a GUI framework in Python. The web gives
> too
> > many options to easily choose from.
> > Just trying to learn from others from this group.
> > Thanks and best regards,
> > Vishal

"A Strong and Positive attitude creates more miracles than anything else.
Because...Life is 10% how you make it, and 90% how you take it"

"Diamond is another piece of coal that did well under pressure"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGu0GiHlR5k

Visit:
http://members.soundclick.com/mukulsapre
http://www.soundclick.com/gurusgrace