[AstroPy] Past Mention of Source Extractor Command in IRAF?

Rick Wagner rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 28 23:07:58 EDT 2009

Hi,

Out of curiosity (and some background knowledge), I did some hunting
around on the IRAF site. My original comment was going to be that
SExtractor [1], is an independent tool, which "builds a catalogue of
objects from an astronomical image", and is separate from IRAF [2],
which is designed for image manipulation. And I was going to agree
with Rose that what you were probably looking for was astrometry.net.

However, what I found on the IRAF site was this entry in the FAQs:
Is there an ASTROMETRY package I can use?
http://tinyurl.com/dl7sly

Now, what I think your looking for is the imcoords package in IRAF,
which includes functions like this [3]:

ccfind: Locate reference catalog objects in images
ccxymatch: Match celestial and pixel coordinate lists

Hope I'm close, if not, I hope this didn't take up too much of your
time.

--Rick

[1] SExtractor - http://tinyurl.com/cbhk4r
[2] IRAF - http://iraf.net