[python-advocacy] How programming language webpages should be designed

Jason Baker amnorvend at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:32:28 CET 2009

Here's the way I see things:  the only way to remove confusion about
whether to go with Python 2 or 3 is going to be to remove one of those
choices.  Until that time, we're going to have to live with that.  So
do we want to dodge the issue, or do we want to hit it head on?  I say
we hit it head on.

So here's what I propose:

 1. We have an example on the front page that works in both Python 2
and Python 3.  This is a tall order, but we are talking about the
front page of python.org here.  I think we should choose an algorithm
that everyone knows and is largely independent of the language it is
implemented in.  For example, what about the Fibonacci sequence?  Sure
it's cliched, but it meets these requirements.

 2. We have a link on the front page to more examples both somewhere
in the sidebar and as a link below the main example.  Again, I propose
that these examples should be minimal (no more than around 10 lines of
code).  This page should have three sections:  a Python 2 section, a
Python 3 section, and a "should I choose Python 2 or 3?" section (or
at least a link to the page answering this question).

3. I also like Laura's idea to have links to solutions to other
well-known problems.  For instance, we could have a link to a
quicksort example, binary search, towers of hanoi, etc.  We could put
this in an "advanced examples" section.  I think that we should shoot
for having a Python 2 version and a Python 3 version of each example.
However, being that these examples are more complex, we may just have
to take what we can get.

Any thoughts on this plan of action?