First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
What is persistence?
Data lives longer than programs
- Files, pipes, relational databases, etc.
- But, discontinuity of representation
- Automatic management of program state
- Independent of data type or longevity
- Allow programmer to focus on application data model
Atkinson & Morrison, Orthogonally Persistent Object Systems, VLDB Journal 95
Three principles of orthogonal persistence:
1. Principle of Persistent Independence
2. Principle of Data Type Orthogonality
3. Principle of Persistent Identification