[XML-SIG] Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

John J Lee jjl@pobox.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:39:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Jeremy Kloth wrote:
[...]
> Using undocumented APIs are, in general, prone to just such problems.  It is

No, they are not.

When I use a Python core module, and then install a related third-party
module (no matter if it's written by the same people, and/or covers very
similar ground), I don't expect it to clobber the first module unless I
explicitly ask for that (by using try / except, or manipulating sys.path
and the module system myself).  I expect it not to even touch the first
module, actually.  And I would be correct, for all cases EXCEPT PyXML.
People DO think of Python core's xml and PyXML as distinct in this sense,
because that's the way ALL other Python software works, AFAIK.

John